Monday, September 7, 2009

the science or the art or decision making

Decision making.. is it mathematical solving equation or decision making backed with scientific tools? or is plain guess work.
in the past few days I have been contemplating this thought. Before I head any further let me settle some dust out here. to me decision making is not the question and answer module to derive the outcome which will tell me what action I need to do. like I don't have to involve my self in making decision between choosing at kick start or self start my bike.

Decision making is about selecting the best action that I need to do, to do a task, or maneuver my self, the result of such action would be futuristic, and outcome of the decision that I make or the road that I travel may affect me and ppl around me.

I am told it’s a science fused with mathematical calculation, which can help you to understand the best option. I am told that it also gives me options and the risk factor attached with each option
Alright I am pretty crude at this, I have had no formal training nor have I read any books for decision making, however of what I have been able to learn from ppl is that I have to pin down all the factors that may affect the course of action that I am contemplating about, and then I need to draw a road map and attach all the possible outcome and the factors on the flip side. I am also told that I can work on the risk factor for each of these outcomes. And then I come down to the calculation, based upon the investment, returns, and risk factors of each of the outcome I pick the best.

However despite the convincing argument I believe that it not the way decisions are made. If I were to believe the scientific tool, then I am unable to answer the argument “why is that we fail in lot many decision that we make” if science and math are the best of the tools that I can use, and I fail despite using them, then what is the X factor that is vital in decision making.

This post of mine carries no conclusion, because by now you may have guessed, I have no conclusion to make, rather it’s an attempt to understand what it is. Looking fd to understand form you, the science or the art or decision making.

1 comment:

  1. Rightly put....the science of decision making helps you evaluate decisions, but you cannot know for sure which is going to be the best outcome in future, as future remains unpredictable. Having said that its always wise to evaluate your judgment so that your decision making is rational, and select the one which suits you the best. The hardest part is to accept the outcome of decisions, especially when things do not happen the preferred way. But that is the beauty of life, isn't it?

    (as is obvious my comment also did not make any sense :D)

    And BTW, I read your comment on my Blog today. there was some issue with settings, I wasn't getting any mail. Have updated posts now.

    ReplyDelete